Access the Repository Browser from Alfresco Share

One of the new features included in Alfresco Enterprise Edition 3.2r (released 16th February 2010) is the ability for Alfresco Share to browse the Alfresco Repository (repo). I have run a number of webinars recently and have demonstrated this new feature. This has resulted in a couple of questions about how to enable this feature (by default it is switched off). So I thought I would write a note to guide you through the configuration process.

To enable your users to browse the repo using Share you need to edit the following XML configuration file:

C:\Alfresco\tomcat\shared\classes\alfresco\web-extension\share-config-custom.xml

(Note: My install of Alfresco on Windows and is under c:\Alfresco directory)

Look for the section ‘Repository Library config Section’ and change the <visible>false</visible> to true (see image below). After this you will need to restart the Alfresco server.

XML Configuration File

XML Configuration File

Now login to Alfresco Share and you should have a new ‘Repository’ button in the top navigation bar (see image below).
Navigation Bar

Navigation Bar

This new feature allows you to browse the general document library from within share. You have a number of ways to navigate and find content. These include:

• Repository – Traditional folder hierarchy view
  • Categories – Browse using the assigned category hierarchy
  • Tags – Select content based on the tags assigned
  • I’m Editing – Quickly find documents that you are in the process of modifying
  • My Favourites – Quickly find documents that you have flagged as important to you

(see image below)

Document Library Browser View

Document Library Browser View

15 thoughts on “Access the Repository Browser from Alfresco Share

1. spindler

Hi Paul,

That’s a great feature.

I understand this is at least a read-only access….But does that also mean that we can do all actions on any documents into repository from Share ? (like modifying security, or editing the doc ?)

Thanks,

2. phampton Post author

This is not a read only view. With version (3.2r) you can:
    Upload new files (single or multiple)
    Download
    View
    Edit Metadata
    Upload new versions
    Edit offline
    Copy or Move…
    Assign workflow
    Manage aspects
    Change type

3. Will Abson

Found the visibility setting while messing about in the config file yesterday and wondered what it did. The category browsing is particularly nice as we never had this feature in Explorer.

4. Peter Jackson

Thanks for this – good functionality. Does this mean that Sharepoint protocol functionality is also open to the repository?

5. spindler

Hi Paul,

I did a few test, and it seems that (with the Share interface) we can do almost all actions on document uploaded through Share, into the repository.
    Only the security management is still a little bit different in Share compare to Alfresco repository (i.e not exactly aligned in term of role ?).

Also, it seems that now in 3.2r (maybe since 3.x ?) we can upload doc through Share, and then go to the JSF client to change some properties (like changing the security settings)….In JSF client, there is still a message saying that document should be preferably managed through Share, but there is no warning when an update on security is done through the JSF client.

Could you confirm this kind of action on security are “supported” ?

Thanks,

6. phampton Post author

As you say most of the actions are available when browsing the repository via the Share interface. Modifying the security of documents and spaces in the repository is not supported in this release (should be available in 3.3). But most users would use the predefined security applied to the repository.

You can browse the ‘Sites’ space to change security settings via the Explore client. You just need to think about the implications of any changes that you make.

7. Pingback: Did you know this 3.2r (E) cool feature: Repository Browser from Alfresco Share ? « Alfresco & Share Blog

8. Sergey

Great feature !
    Does it is available in Community Edition 3.2r2 or when will be ?
    Thanks for yours work and answer.

9. feedler

Hi Paul,

this is really a great feature and I would like to integrate this repository button into share. However I cannot find the share-config-custom.xml(.sample). I tried creating it with the content shown in the screenshot but that has no visible effect (neither in the positive nor in the negative sense). I also tried to teach share my custom model (types and aspects) which also showed no effect. I’m using Alfresco 3.2r2 (on Windows and Linux) – did something major change in between these last two releases?

I know overlooking things in the fridge. But overlooking a file having the exact path? Honestly I feel a bit stupid. ;) What am I missing?

Thanks
    Chris

10. feedler

OK – got it myself. So far, this is an Enterprise Edition feature only. Being able to read can sometimes be an advantage. ;) However, do you know wether enabling custom aspects for share is also only available in Enterprise Edition at the moment? Cause this didn’t work for me either.

11. Eddie

Hi Paul,
    I’ve placed this code within share-config-custom.xml

true
    alfresco://company/home

false

The file is located in /opt/alfresco/tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco/web-extension.

The version I’m running is:
    Alfresco started (Community): Current version 3.2.0 (r2 2440) schema 3300 – Originally installed version 3.2.0 (r2 2440) schema 3300

I’ve restarted tomcat but still cannot see the browse repository functionality within share.
    Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eddie

12. Paul Hampton Post author

Eddie,

At this stage this feature is only available in Alfresco Enterprise 3.2r. It should make it to Alfresco Community 3.3.

Paul

13. Eddie

Hi Paul & Gary,
    Thanks for confirmation – I’ve now had a play w/ 3.3. Rules are very cool. I see that the repository can be switched on but it would be great if the view/structure was based on role rather than current all or nothing.

For example, as site admin, I want to be able to view Company Home, web scripts, etc. However, I don’t want others to see these directories.

Cheers, Eddie