11 thoughts on “The Versatility of Alfresco Aspects

1. Jan

I agree so much, but the feature is so far hidden that most users don’t even know about it. Alfresco should bring these features much more to the front – once they have decided what this front could be…

2. Igor Blanco

What do you mean by hidden? I think aspects are as well known an documented as the rest of the content modelling elements.

I do agree though that “using” or “integrating” those custom models (aspects, types or whatever) in Alfresco UI’s could be much more straightforward, but it seems to me that, although not yet there, Alfresco Share and its forms engine is heading in the right direction on this matter.

3. John Bailo

I’m confused by the difference between a Custom Model, Aspects and Custom Aspects.

If I add a custom model, that could then add an aspect (property?) to all documents in the repository.

4. Paul Hampton Post author

You can use custom models, custom aspects or a combination of both. Having a set of custom attributes held as an aspect allows you to overlay them on any object. This greatly simplifies the model.

5. Francesco Valente

Hi Paul,
    can I ask you which version of alfresco used in these screencasts?
    I’m on alfresco 3.4b and I have not found a way to configure the advanced search for aspect… as in your second video. In the share-config-custom.xml I added an entry for the AdvancedSearch condition, but when I select that I get an error “A form could not be found for item: [type]my:customaspect”…

6. Paul Hampton Post author

Francesco,

I was using Alfresco Enterprise 3.4.0 – But the configuration should be the same for both Community and Enterprise. I will write a post with instructions and my setup files.

Paul

7. Kim

I find the documentation supporting this software to be lacking all fronts. Aspects for sites and for folders include items such as Classifiable, Complianceable, Dublin Core etc but there is no explanation of how these are used and the impact thereof. Taggable does not even feature in the help file although it is in the software. Similarly, trying to find out how tags and categories and aspects work together in the realm of a taxonomy is not possible.

8. Pingback: Paul Hampton » Blog Archive » Sample Types and Aspect – Config Files

9. Ivan Leš

Thank you so much for config files Paul!

I’ve been battling the same problem as Francesco (and many more) the whole day and had the same error coming up all the time… How to enable advanced search for aspects… well you can’t directly bind search form to an aspect or you will get “A form could not be found for item: [type]my:customaspect” no matter what you try, instead you can only bind them to a type. Now my main problem was I didn’t want custom types or subtypes but to simply use “cm:content” for each aspect search without overriding each other… The key is a custom id (thanks again Paul).

Here is a short code listing from Paul’s share-config-custom.xml

cm:content

Notice the id=”customersearch” :) (thought it could only be “search” in order to work)