One of the new features included in Alfresco Enterprise Edition 3.2r (released 16th February 2010) is the ability for Alfresco Share to browse the Alfresco Repository (repo). I have run a number of webinars recently and have demonstrated this new feature. This has resulted in a couple of questions about how to enable this feature (by default it is switched off). So I thought I would write a note to guide you through the configuration process.
To enable your users to browse the repo using Share you need to edit the following XML configuration file:
(Note: My install of Alfresco on Windows and is under c:\Alfresco directory)
Look for the section ‘Repository Library config Section’ and change the <visible>false</visible> to true (see image below). After this you will need to restart the Alfresco server.
Now login to Alfresco Share and you should have a new ‘Repository’ button in the top navigation bar (see image below).
This new feature allows you to browse the general document library from within share. You have a number of ways to navigate and find content. These include:
- Repository – Traditional folder hierarchy view
- Categories – Browse using the assigned category hierarchy
- Tags – Select content based on the tags assigned
- I’m Editing – Quickly find documents that you are in the process of modifying
- My Favourites – Quickly find documents that you have flagged as important to you
(see image below)